Thursday, October 25, 2007

Wind reversal....


Today, we had our first true effects of the fire. All day, it was supposedly sunny, but we never really saw much sun (it was light out, but the light was of a green/yellow color) due to the smoke from the fires near LA. Yes, the winds are back to normal-sending all that horrid smoke out to us in the in Inland Empire. All day the sun was orange-ish and the moon was also that color tonight (see photo). The particulate matter was high (I'm not sure the number), and it felt like really dirty air when you were breathing it in. And just to put this in perspective: I've been in Mexico City, which I thought was the worst air I'd ever experience-until this week's air arrived. Most schools have cancelled classes for the remainder of the week and parents are being advised not to let children play outside due to the air quality.
Another thing that has been on my mind since this all happened is how a lot of the media are saying how this response is so much better than Katrina. For example, evacuees at the stadium in San Diego have been served sodas and Cesar salads, had entertainment, and opportunities for massage and acupuncture. What a change from the absolute nothingness that was done in 2005 during the aftermath of Katrina. I can't help but think of the socioeconomic differences between the two groups. In San Diego and surrounding areas, most of the evacuees are white, upper middle class (at least) residents. (For those of you who aren't familiar, San Diego is a very expensive place to live.) Most of the folks that lived in these areas around the fire had upscale homes, for the most part, due to the sheer fact that they lived close to wilderness and not concrete. I just wonder if the response would have been as welcoming this time around if the group we are dealing with was similar to that from Katrina. I am not sure if so many amenities would be offered, as we are seeing in San Diego. Now, I am not saying that the people that have lost their homes are lucky or fortunate, but I don't' foresee any of these people living in a FEMA trailer for 2 years while their home is rebuilt, if you know what I mean. Too many campaign contributions for that (to both sides of the aisle). Just some food for thought.....let me know what you think.


1 comment:

Desi and Matt said...

I'm thinking that picture of the moon is kind of creepy, but I'm very happy to hear that you two are safe.