Friday, October 26, 2007

Unexpected Holiday!

Today was Friday, which is my early early day at work. I woke up at 5:30 as always and got ready and was watching TV before I headed out the door. Just as I was preparing to leave at 6:45, the lights flickered and then completely went out. I live about a mile away from my work, so I was thinking-I bet this is off at work. I went into work, and sure enough, no electricity. It was really dark inside, so we had some candles burning, flashlights, and someone had glow sticks in their car. The phones were, of course, not working, so we had to use our cell phones to call our patients and try to cancel. But before any of that happened, I had a 7 AM eval and he was already there-so we completed most of the eval out on the picnic table in front of the building. It was sort of nice. Anyway, I did have a couple patients show up due to not getting the message, but we were able to treat, as we had enough light for a couple tables in the gym. Our boss came in and announced that everyone was to cancel the rest of the day and go home at 11. Of course, after all this happened, the lights came on about 9:30. But, we were still allowed to go home early, which was a nice early start to the weekend. Of course, we won't get paid for that time, but that's alright-I will try to make it up next week. Apparently, a transformer exploded on one of the freeways and actual electrical lines were on the road, and of course, it started a small brush fire. It sounds like they have everything under control.
Our air continues to be smoky and disgusting. Our air filter has to be running while we're inside, because we really notice the difference when it's not. The mountain has become really hazy from our place-especially on the north side, which is closer to the mountain fires. Anyway, we're still hiding inside for the most part.
No big plans for the weekend. Just the usual. We will probably get a pizza from Domino's' tonight. It's only $8 for a large, which is a steal. That's all for now!

No comments: