Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Beautiful Day at the Beach..........in January

Today Nick and I decided to take advantage of the phenomenal weather and head down to the beach to do some hiking just north of San Diego. We took off in the morning and it took us about an hour to reach the beach. We headed to a local mall for a quick lunch and happened to see they also had an exhibit for "Bodies"-the one with the cadavers doing activities. We were happy to know that that was so close to our doorstep.
We went back down to the beach (see photos) and started our hike. Nick had mentioned to me before we went that we would be hiking along Black Beach, which is a nudist beach. I really didn't think there would be anything to see there along those lines, but the weather was so amazing, that we really did see quite a few people running around with their wobbly bits only. I would say it was about 75% men and 25% women, and that's even stretching it. We saw naked men jogging and men and women playing volleyball. It was pretty funny at first, but as it went on for a mile of the hike, we soon got used to it. Maybe on our next trip, we will try to fit in more ;).

We hiked about 2.5 miles up and down the shore, which was a very easy hike as it is all flat right along the beach. Getting down to the beach and back up to the parking lot was a little harder, as it was pretty much straight up. So, at least we got a little bit of a workout. The water was pretty nice for January, as I was able to wade a bit with bare feet. When some of the waves hit hard though, it was pretty cold. I'm not sure what the official high was today, but I am guessing it was definitely in the high 70s, as we were pretty warm at points. I kept thinking to myself-"I can't believe it's January 13."

Since we had such a nice time in San Diego and want to check out the Bodies exhibit, among other things, we are planning to take a couple of days off at the end of the month to spend in and around San Diego. We were debating a 4-5 day all inclusive Mexico vacation in Cabo, but since the temperatures are not much warmer there as it was here toady, we figured we would save a little money and enjoy San Diego.

I hope everyone is enjoying winter back in the Midwest and know for sure-we're not missing it one single ounce!

BTW: I'm not sure if it's the camera or my clothes-but it looks like I've gained somewhere in the ballpark of 100 pounds! I have not gained any substantial weight, but was wearing some baggy, unflattering (obviously) clothes today! Sorry-no baby news or health issues to think about!


1 comment:

Desi and Matt said...

If you were naked outside in Iowa right now, you'd get some frostbite in some really nasty places!! Enjoy your weather!